Saturday, May 31, 2008

June Presidency Message

Dear Sisters,

For several months now, I have felt impressed to testify to you the importance of womanhood and especially motherhood. Being a mother has never been an easy job. It's easy to get discouraged and lose sight of the importance of what we are doing.

I have been reading a book by Dean Hughes called "All Moms Go to Heaven." He tells about his experience of being a "stay at home dad" one summer. He said," I had my eyes opened that summer. Opened wide. I can now honestly say that I've been there, done that, and have the scars to prove it. And I'll tell you this: men just don't understand what we mothers go through."

His humorous book talks about his constant struggle to do dishes, change diapers, feed everyone, clean the house, control the clutter, entertain the children, and teach them to work, etc. He longed for adult conversation that summer. He said, "If I told Kathy that the kids had cut a big gash in our kitchen table with a screwdriver, she would want to know how they got hold of the screwdriver."

He came to understand a mother's guilt. He felt guilty for the amount of TV they watched, and felt bad that he wasn't reading to them more, or providing creative crafts and wholesome exercise. He felt guilty for cleaning up their toys instead of having them do it themselves, letting them eat Oreos even though they didn't eat their carrot sticks, and not giving them enough attention and affection.

He said, "In all seriousness, I got depressed that summer...I didn't go into a clinical depression; I knew the summer would end, eventually. But I was often disappointed with myself for my impatience and crankiness, and for my failure to teach the kids what I wanted them to learn. But the worst thing--the thing that kept me unhappy--was getting up in the morning and thinking, "This day will be just like yesterday and tomorrow." My only goal each day was to get back to where I started in the morning."

I've had some good laughs reading this book. And I admit that I can relate to how he felt. With just one week of summer vacation under our belts, I've already felt frustrated, overwhelmed, discouraged, and guilty that I'm not doing a better job. But I've also felt the Lord's love and guidance. I know that what I'm doing matters to Him. He loves me and my children, and He will help me in my day-to-day struggles if I will turn to Him.

Sister Barbara Thompson taught us in our most recent General Relief Society meeting, "Remember the great love of our Savior. He said in Isaiah 41:10, “Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee.” Then in verse 13 He says again, “I will help thee.” And once more in verse 14 He says, “I will help thee.”

Believe the Savior. He will help us. He loves us. He wants us to be happy."

Sister Thompson also said, "As Relief Society sisters we can help one another to strengthen families. We are given opportunities to serve in many capacities. We constantly come in contact with children and youth who may need just what we can offer. You older sisters have much good advice and experience to share with younger mothers. Sometimes a Young Women leader or a Primary teacher says or does just the thing that is needed to reinforce what a parent is trying to teach. And obviously we don’t need any particular calling to reach out to a friend or neighbor."

I want to tell all of you wonderful, amazing women how grateful I am for your examples. You do so much for your families, and for each other. I feel blessed to be associated with each and every one of you.

I know that the things we are doing have eternal consequences and also eternal rewards. As mothers and women, we are going about the Lord's work. He cares about what we are doing and He will help us.

Love,

Sister Huff

No comments: